Life In Technicolour

Life In Technicolour

Pages

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Tick Tick Boom

Back in Le Olde Country Town. I've moved into a share-house this year, which will be so much better then last year's dorm. The other two girls I'm living with are really easy to live with, so that's always good.

Being back here in this actual town is always kind of daunting to me. Whenever I'm here, I miss walking freely out on the streets and shopping without people staring at me because I'm Asian. Until leaving high school and Melbourne, I have never been so constantly reminded that I'm Asian as I have been recently. Yeah, I was sheltered pretty badly. Coming from a school and suburb where white people are a minority it's a pretty uncomfortable experience. My roommate was driving her parents to the train station on Sunday so that they could catch the next bus back to Sydney. She told me that they were at a red light when a car pulled up next to them and a guy rolled down his window and started yelling in a sing-song voice 'Fucking Asians, fucking Asians, fucking Asians'. My friend's dad told them not to look over and give them the satisfaction of being angry- that that man was just an uneducated idiot. (And it's true, statistics show that racists are generally middle-aged, white, non-tertiary educated men). It was especially painful because it was a red light and they had to endure the taunts for a while. My friend let him speed ahead as the light turned green and as he did, he threw an oily McDonald's paper bag full of rubbish at my friend's windshield as she drove behind him.

People need to get hobbies or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment